The Health Depot’s Response to COVID-19 Pandemic: How we’re supporting our employees, patients & community
Making The Health Depot’s Online Services Available to all Ontario
The Health Depot is ready to ship prescriptions for free anywhere in Ontario to keep you and your loved ones out of harm's way - staying home and staying healthy. This is particularly important for the elderly, immunocompromised and those living in direct contact with them.
We would like to share some added measures we are undertaking to ensure proper infection control:
Shifting our Priorities and Resources to Support Patients in Need
Our staff and resources are fully dedicated to addressing the most pressing priority, to ensure everyone can get their medications safely delivered to their house.
Workforce Planning and Company-wide COVID-19 Preparation
As an essential service, The Health Depot will remain open to serve our patients and community. We have developed work-from-home and telecommunication methods to help employees stay safe and healthy as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve. To support public health guidance from medical experts about “social distancing,” effective March 12 and until further notice, we are giving our employees the option to work from home if their role enables them to do so. Reducing the number of people in the office will also help make the work environment safer for employees whose roles require them to be in an office or facility.
We have also posted signage on all entrances to the pharmacy area requiring individuals to self-identify if they:
- are experiencing symptoms including fever, cough, difficulty breathing, or extreme tiredness;
- have travel history outside of Canada in the last 14 days; or
- have had contact with a person who has either the above travel history or has been confirmed to have COVID-19.
Lastly, routine and effective cleaning and disinfection of surfaces, items and equipment is an essential activity that protects clients/patients/residents, staff and visitors from infection. At The Health Depot, we have increased our already stringent cleaning processes to reflect the current climate - by starting a company-wide and self-driven sanitizing initiative, our staff are committed to keeping our facility free from the potential spread of COVID-19.
How The Health Depot Can Help
We recognize that as a result of COVID-19 there have been significant changes to what stores, offices and services remain open. We are committed to working with you to ensure that you can stay healthy, stay home and stay safe.
Here are the steps we are taking:
- We will work with you to understand how your plans may have changed. Currently, during the pandemic, there are strict guidelines to limit all medication supplies to a maximum 30-day supply. Pharmacies are working closely with all insurance providers and patients to ensure everyone has equal access to their medication. The purpose of this is to protect the supply chain so that no one is left without their meds.
- Free delivery via Canada Post - Canada Post is also taking necessary precautions and some minor delays during the pandemic may occur. For now, signature requirements for prescription packages have been waived to help limit contact and prevent the spread of the virus.
- Order from home - order your medications on our web portal. You can also speak with your pharmacist via phone or video conference call without having to go into the pharmacy.
- We are working with our suppliers to meet customer demand for products being sought in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic. This demand may cause temporary shortages for certain products.
- We are developing an e-commerce health store (featuring over 5000 products) launching soon which will help to limit the potential contact and spread of COVID-19.
- We are actively collaborating with online services such as Tia Health, to ensure our patients and employees have access to doctors.
We are actively monitoring the current environment for COVID-19 related risks and we continue to implement plans and processes to help keep our employees safe and healthy.